Packing Wine for a Move
uShip.com has provided us with some wonderful advice for packing and shipping wine. We hope you enjoy this handy guideline.
Moving wine bottles can be quite a daunting task. Imagine unpacking in your new home and realizing your most prized bottle has been cracked and is leaking on your other possessions. Read on for a step-by-step guide to prevent damage to your wine during a move.
- Use a box with dividers. You can purchase boxes with dividers specifically designed for wine and liquor bottles from moving companies. An alternative is getting similar boxes for free from wineries, liquor stores, restaurants, or supermarkets. Stick to using smaller boxes for ease of transport. Multiple wine bottles in a box can be heavy and hard to handle, an undesirable combination for fragile items.
- Reinforce the bottom of the box with extra tape. The last thing you want is for all the bottles in the box to fall out the bottom of the box while it is being carried.
- Make sure the bottles are tightly corked. A good preventive measure to avoid the loosening of corks in transport is to secure the corks using wire cork cages, especially for sparkling wines.
- Wrap the bottles with paper or bubble wrap. Start at a corner of the paper and wrap the bottle diagonally on the sheet, folding in the excess paper on the sides as you roll the bottle. When done rolling, wrap the exterior of the bundle with shipping tape to secure the wrapping and any loose ends.
- Place the wrapped bottles in the dividers, and fill in the empty space with packing peanuts or crumpled newspaper.
- Seal the top of the box with a generous amount of tape.
- Clearly label the box as fragile to prevent damage.
- During transport, make an effort to keep the temperature of the bottles as low as possible. Many moving companies offer climate controlled moving vans. Ideally, the wine should be kept at 55°F to prevent damage, but this may be impractical. You may want to carry more expensive bottles in an ice chest with dry ice.
There is no feeling quite like opening a nice bottle of wine after moving into your new home. By exercising caution and following these steps, you will surely transport your wine collection successfully.
Tags: advice, article, bubble wrap, bundle, guide, guideline, howto, Joseph Ho, move, moving, packing, shipping, shipping wine, tips, transporting, uship com, wine bottles